As the chairman of the Ancre Somme Association I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everybody who is currently working so hard to provide all manner of services while the country is being ravaged by the COVID19 virus.
There are so many key workers carrying out important roles that it would be impossible to list them all but I am sure they took heart in the applause that echoed across the United Kingdom last night as a grateful nation took to their doorsteps to show our key workers that they are very much appreciated.
I am hesitant to single out one area but I think it would be wrong of me if I did not mention the staff of our NHS. These brave people are at the coalface dealing with conditions that the rest of us cannot even imagine.
As the daily figures rise to an alarming amount I think it is only right that I repeat the government’s advice that we should all stay at home, where we possibly can, and follow the social distancing safety measures when we do go out. By following the government’s advice we will save lives and help protect our NHS.
If there are any positives that we can take from this epidemic it will undoubtedly be that we will never again undervalue the institution that is our National Health Service and the dedicated individuals that make it the envy of the world.
As an association our officers have held discussions on how we can express our thanks to our key workers, once we return to some type of normality. These discussions are on-going and more information will be available in the near future.
Until that time our members across the UK will continue to volunteer their time. They will focus on what is important now and that is helping the most vulnerable within their own local communities. These people may be self-isolating but it is important they know that they are not alone. Together we will get through this difficult time.
Finally, to all our members, their families and supporters please stay safe and I look forward to seeing you all again very soon and to our key workers, we will always be in your debt.
On behalf of our association, indeed the nation, we send you a heart felt Thanks.
Ancre Somme Association
To stop the spread of coronavirus, you should only leave the house for very limited purposes:
- shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
- one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household
- any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
These reasons are exceptions. Even when doing these activities, you should minimise time spent outside of the home and ensure you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.
You should also:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – for at least 20 seconds
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands
- not touch your face if your hands are not clean
Download our Key Worker poster here